I am Gede, eternal figure in black, master of the abyss into which the sun sinks. I make the days grow short and the nights grow long. You perforce will cross the threshold of my palace, the tomb and the womb of the cosmic void. I am Gede, master of resurrection. Confounding life and death, I make the dead dance, I heal the hopeless. I am the guardian of children, born and unborn. I am the life and light persistently present, even in the darkness. They call me the Rising Sun. From Makandal's Rising Sun, A Vodou Drama of Death and Rebirth
What magic does Makandal plan to make in 2023?
- Music education | A brand-new Haitian Drum Workshop (details tba)
- Theater | Revival of our neo-folktale, The Drum and the Seed, A Haitian Odyssey
- Vodou Jazz | A trip through the tangled roos of Vodou and jazz
- Vintage Vodou | Continued re-release of classic Makandal recordings
- Memorial Project | Expansion of the Frisner Augustin Archive, creation of a Hall of Ancestors
- Joy and Hope | Win hearts and minds with music!
Let’s begin that last item with a message of hope from Frisner Augustin, in English,
““Haiti, we need a reconciliation through culture. And it will happen. It will. Because everyone’s looking toward the army, the president, the generals—toward [the US]. They never say, ‘Let’s get all the musicians together, let’s get all the Vodouists together.’”
Warm wishes from Makandal for a healthy and peaceful 2023! Bòn ane!
Image Credits: Banner image: Sunrise over Earth by knssr YouTube video by Lois Wilcken on The Makandal Channel: Frisner Appeals for Unity through Music and the Spirit