Ayiti, nou bezwen yon bagay rekonsilyasyon de kilti pou fèt Ayiti. E l ap fè tou. Li gen pou l fèt. Paske tout moun ap gade sou lame, ap gade sou prezidan, ap gade sou jeneral, ap gade sou isit. Yo poko janm di, “Bon, ann reyini tout mizisyen ansanm. Ann reyini tout Vodouwizan ansanm.”
Haiti, for Haiti we need peace through culture. And it will happen, too. It has to happen. Because everyone is looking toward the army, toward the president, toward the general, toward here. They’ve never yet said, “Good, let’s bring all the musicians together. Let’s unite all the Vodouists.”
—Frisner Augustin, interview with Lois Wilcken, 25 August 1994, Brooklyn
(full interview in Kreyòl archived here)
Are you ready to keep his dream alive?
In this message we appeal to you for a donation. It’s not just the reality of new bank fees and rising web costs. More important, our values harmonize with yours and drive our activities. For example,
- We want to see legacies passed on, and in that spirit we created the Frisner Augustin Memorial Archive, an online work-in-progress. We envision a first-ever archive of Haitian Vodou drummers.
- We honor the ancestors, love the earth, and protect our children, thus we seek funds to update The Drum and the Seed: A Haitian Odyssey and translate it into Haitian Kreyòl.
- We believe in giving. Our Artist Relief Fund held a Konbit pou WaWa in 2019 to honor and assist pioneering roots artist Jacques “WaWa” Fortère. We continue this work.
- We are currently collaborating with Espas Kreyòl on resources (including spiritually uplifting music) for the Haitian community in a time of pandemic.
Please consider making your gift to the future in the form of a tax-deductible donation to Makandal. Click/tap the button to the left to donate online. Or, write a check or money order payable to La Troupe Makandal, Inc., 621 Rutland Rd Apt 4C, Brooklyn NY 11203-1716.
At this critical juncture, let’s support Frisner’s vision to “bring all the musicians together” and reverse the forces that divide us. We can create the just and peaceful world we dream of. Ayibobo!
Resources, with Love from Makandal to You
- Frisner Augustin Biography
- Tales from the Archive Blog Series
- The Makandal Channel on YouTube
- The Frisner Augustin Memorial Archive online
- Frisner’s Archive Channel on YouTube
Featured image: Detail of photo by Tom Pich from Makandal’s Rising Sun: Carnival Dawn performance, South Oxford Space, Brooklyn, January 12, 2002 | Photo archived here
Photo (cropped for YouTube video) by Shinji Takehara, Tokyo, 14 July 2007, archived here
Photo by Chantal Regnault at the Citicorp Center, Manhattan, 16 November 1983, archived here